Sunday, September 25, 2011

Where has the time gone?

I've been messing around on my macbook(thanks tpsd) waiting for Boardwalk Empire(Sunday night on HBO is out of this world btw) to come on at 8.  I've been going through my usual url run of Yahoo fantasy sports, gmail, school mail, msu athletics, recruiting forums.  I'm contemplating setting up my Itunes.  But as I got bored with the same ole same ole surfing, I said wait a minute, I used to write a blog.  It's been so long since I wrote one, May to be exact.  I used to love doing it every day but working is harder than not working so it makes it tough to get motivation to write it after teaching all day.  That being said I'm probably going to make a promise here that I can't keep.  I probably shouldn't but what anyone that reads this has to realize is that, these blogs mean alot more to me than they do to you.  That might be hard to believe, but I use them as a getaway and a reassurance.  I'm trying to cover everything that has ever gone through my head.  I know, gonna take a while.  But hopefully by the time I'm 30 I can look back and say hmmm what did that particualar blog teach me.  How did I look at then differently than I do now?  Anyway, I don't have any specific topic I'd like to touch on tonight.  But I'd like to update my life since my last blog post.  Man has a lot changed with me since May.  You probably know by now that I taught Special Ed and coached baseball at Shannon High School last spring.  It was an awesome experience, my first real job.  I'm forever in debt to the Lee County School District for giving me that opportunity.  Once school was over, I started up with American Legion baseball like I do every summer.  Boy did I not have a clue how this summer would end.  When Kirk and I picked this team of 18 players, we knew we had a chance to be really good.  But I feel that way every summer and I'm sure he does too.  We had the usual challenges that we do every summer, and we sure had our ups and downs.  But we had a group of young men that had that "it" that every coach dreams of having.  Truth be told we didn't have just a few superstar players, we had a 18 players that knew there role on a great team.  If you don't already know by now, we finished our season as the 2nd best team in the country.(unofficially of course because legion doesn't do rankings)  We won our State Championship over a really tough Pontotoc team, went to Minden, LA for the Mid-South Regional and won there, then went to the American Legion World Series in Shelby, NC.  It was an experience that I will never forget.  We played at a level that I have never seen a team play at.  Against the toughest competition in the country, we stood toe to toe all the way through the tournament.  We eventually lost to Eden Prairie, MN in the National Championship 5-4 in 13 innings.  It still stings me everyday, because I think we were the better team, but they made one more play than we did and I tip my cap to them for the battle and their great sportsmanship.  I'll forever share a bond with that team as long as I live.  Thanks guys.  What's next?  We'll strap it back on next summer and try to do it again.  In the process of all this awesome baseball, I was also in the mix for a job at my alma mater, Tupelo High School.  I've been blessed with that job.  I'm still behind on a lot of things but I do give my very best effort everyday.  I am currently teaching job skills math(Special Education) and assisting a good friend of mine(Harris Faucette) with the Boys Soccer team.  It is truly a treat to be able to try to give back to a school that gave so much to me.  Sure there are challenges and I face them everyday but tell me a working environment where there's not a challenge.  One of my best friends uses a saying that I love. "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it".  This quote says to me that if you work hard you will be rewarded.  I think you get the result of your effort in everything you do, and I strive to do just that.  To top all this off, I'm buying my first house right now.  I'm still finalizing everything, but I'm inching closer to being truly on my on very soon.  Now this doesn't mean I'm sick of living at home.  I do enjoy it.  A lot of things are easier because of it.  I don't want to be labeled as one of those people that can't do anything without their mother, so I look forward to the challenge.  I will miss being with my Mom though.  I'm sure she'll cook a couple nights a week just to get me to come home.  And of course I will.  Its also the best time of year for a guy like me.  MLB playoffs, College Football, and the start of Basketball keep me grinning ear to ear.  Also the best shows on tv air in the fall so that keeps me occupied in the evenings.  Plus soccer is about to pick up.  So you could say that I'm ridiculously busy.  That being said I still try to make time for the important things in life: relationships with friends and family.  I love you all and don't hesitate to call if you need anything or just wanna make small talk.


It's good to be back blogging.  Thanks for reading folks,
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment