Monday, February 14, 2011

3 holidays: 1 is important, the other 2 not so much

About 7 weeks have passed since I was supposed to write this blog.  Pretty pathetic on my part considering the first topic is the most important national holiday.  I honestly thought I could let it go and just do a Christmas blog during 12/11(which I'll probably do anyway).  But I've got a guilty conscience.  Really I just want to share what the Christmas holidays mean to me.  I've not always been very reflective of holidays and truly soaked them in.  For me, up until the last few years, Christmas was about being around friends.(Still is to an extent)  Sure I'd be around my family closer to the 25th, but some of the best hangouts, adventures and scenarios of my life have been over Christmas holidays.  As for this past Christmas, my life was pretty simple.  As I've gotten older, there are less friends to hang out with.  It kind of shocked me to be honest.  One great thing that I did do this Christmas was relax.  Almost each day of the break I found myself in deep thought.  I don't have the patience to type all of what went on in my head, but let me just say that when you look at Christmas with Jesus in the forefront of your thoughts, you truly appreciate it more.  Well to top Christmas off, we got a little snow.(And then some more snow)  I can't remember a white Christmas since I've been alive. The snow we got Christmas day was kind of overshadowed by the snow we got in January.  I'm writing this now because the snow reminds me of this past Christmas, which should remind all of us that Christmas should bring good reminders.  Happy late B-day Jesus!

Next, I'll blog on 2 holidays that don't really mean much to me.  First, is New Year's.  The only real thing that I can appreciate about New Years is watching college football.  Luckily, the team I root for the most went to a bowl game in Jacksonville.(lovely city by the way)  That made for a really nice new year.  It's really the only fun I can get out of New year's.  I don't like going on last second new years trips just to a big party.  You could call me out and say "Well Mac didn't you go to Dallas to watch Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl last year?"  I'd say yes but the common denominator for my trip to Dallas and my trip to Jacksonville was friends.  I'd go to any bowl game for MSU but having close friends there make the trip that more special.  The only other thing about New Year's is your resolution.  I've never followed through on one, that I can remember.  So this year I told myself, don't start the resolution right away because you'll just fizzle as always.  So I started back working out the first of February.  I'm still with it but only time will tell. 

Lastly is Valentines Day.  I've never had a grasp on this holiday.  I've been on the single and not single side of it and I wake up feeling the same on the 15th each year.  To be honest both sides suck.  I can see how most single people will either wish they had some significant other.  On the flip side of it, you can treat it just as any other day, which for me personally works just fine.(If we don't get out of work or school for it, it's not a holiday)  I feel that this holiday is not important just because of what it represents.  It's a day supposedly where "people in love express their love for each other."(At least that's the google definition for it)  Here's my problem with it: if you love someone shouldn't you let them know that more than just one day out of 365?  I mean seriously, when you say I love you, does it mean more on February 14th than any other day?  I think the holiday has really just become over hyped by the media driven world.(yeah I'm talking to you Jane Seymour and your Open Hearts Collection)  It's a perception holiday.  At some point in the holiday's history, some guy went over the top with what he bought for his significant other.  The girl then told her friends and they began to expect from their boyfriends/husbands.  Yadda yadda yadda and so on...it brings us to now.  I might not ever be in another relationship in my life,but if I am I'll show her love for the duration of our relationship, not just for show on a day that is just the 45th day of each year and nothing more than another day that God has given us to live to the fullest.

Thanks for reading,
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment