Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Coach I woke up this morning and saw my shadow and therefore there will be 6 more weeks of recruiting speculation

2 subjects today: The first is one that is not for the faint of heart.  It's a cut-throat, ruthless topic that there really is no way to dissect in an exact manner.  But that's what I aim to do.  If I sling a little mud at a rival school in this blog, then I apologize up front.  But if you keep up with in-state recruiting, you know some of the crazy stuff that's happened over the last month and a half.  Let me say first that I am a person that keeps up with recruiting in Mississippi, specifically Mississippi State recruiting.  I have invested a great deal of my time and interests into MSU athletics and as expected I like to keep up with the players they are interested in.  This being said I am unhappy with this year's recruiting season.(notice I didn't say recruiting class)  I'm proud of all the Mississippi kids who signed football scholarships and will further their education.  However, I am not sure that all these kids will be entering their respected schools honestly.  The biggest example I can make is a young man by the name of C.J. Johnson.  This is a student athlete who up until early last month was committed to Mississippi State for over a year.  What happened between then and now is unknown to me but I have my own theories.  I'll use facts first: 1) At the egg bowl this year he was an Ole Miss visitor and stood up when Chris Relf had a long run in the first quarter....some one affiliated with Ole Miss ripped his visitor pass and lanyard off his neck and said that if he was a rebel visitor then he didn't need to visit Ole Miss 2) He's been quoted as saying that his father's dying wish was for him to play for Mississippi State. His dad said "At the end of the day, all you have is your word." He followed that by saying I'm 100% committed to Mississippi State. 3) He says a reason he decommitted is because his main two recruiters(Diaz and Hudspeth) took other jobs(he committed to MSU before Diaz was even hired 4) He also said that State fans put too much pressure on him by putting stuff on his facebook wall(you can take that for what it's worth) 5)Lastly, he was MSU's bell cow recruiter himself up until the day he decommitted.  Now with all that being said, he decides to commit to Ole Miss just days after 3 and 4 happened.  I don't want to say that something illegal was done to get him to Oxford but I can't get out of my mind how it wasn't....unless of course the kid is just a pathological liar and I don't believe he is.  There were other prospects that were big on State and switched late as well but the situations were different and I wasn't as dissapointed that State didn't sign them.  That being said, it's kind of refreshing that this in state rivalry is getting heated up again(like it was in the late 90's).  I like it when both teams are doing well....the Egg Bowl means more when both teams have something to play for.  All in all, I wish Mr. Johnson and the rest of the Rebel commits success except for one game each year.  I'm proud of the kids that signed with state and hope that recruiting continues to flourish for those that don Maroon and White.  Oh and it's groundhog day....two words: Bill Murray.  Love the movie and glad we get an early spring.....yeah right.

Until next time, thanks for reading
McKinley

P.S. I've been writing a bunch of blogs...just havent published them...I'll be slinging out the good word a bunch in the next few days of ones I've done since Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment