Thursday, May 6, 2010

Country Twang

Todays blog: Music.  I figured its too broad of a topic to blog about so I'm going to break it up into sub-genres over random periods of time.  I'm a lover of all types of music but for no apparent reason I'll start today with Country Music.  It's on my phone, cd's, computer, radio.  For me it's everywhere.  I grew up listening to Country music(specifically riding in the car with my mom and dad/Mom thanks for enjoying it with me after dropping Ashley and Emily off at school first. We so rocked out to Friends in Low Places).  Of course, I have my own Fantastic Four Faves(alliteration intended) of Alan Jackson, George Strait, Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw.  These guys paved the way for the genre.  I know there were people before them that were great but only Joseph Murphy listens to that stuff.  I don't want to babble on so I'll cut straight to the Good, Bad and Ugly.
Country Music
  1. Good: There are so many things that are great about this genre.  For one, there is true meaning in most of country music.(If you haven't got chills listening to songs like "Unanswered Prayers", "Remember When", "Love Without End, Amen",  "Don't Take the Girl" then you aren't human.  Special props to Brad Paisley for slowly becoming a country ballad legend and Zac Brown Band for no doubt listening to James Taylor in his childhood, "Highway 20 Ride" is the bomb!.)  Another cool thing about country is how the songs normally relate to your surroundings.  (For some reason I get really hyped up when I hear songs like Toby Keith's "Angry American or Zac Brown's "Chicken Fried", they always get me singing really loud in my car trying to hit notes that I have yet to conquer)  All these forementioned guys and more really know how to hit home with people like me.  Duos Brooks and Dunn and Lady Antebellum get me too.(Had to mention them and didn't know where to put it.). Gotta love some of the ladies too: Faith Hill, Martina Mcbride, Reba(You're lying to yourself if you say you don't like "Fancy"), Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain, Miranda Lambert, Deanna Carter(Ahh.."Strawberry Wine"..childhood)
  2. Bad: I hate today's new country (kinda, there are occasional songs I do like).  Guys that just have one hit.  It seems like they all pretend to be cowboys because that's what country singers are supposed to do or something.  I think they are just labeled country because they were too cheesy to be rock stars.  Another thing, I really don't like Trace Adkins(Worst country musician ever).  I would continue on about why I think everything about his music is wrong, but I think it will make my head explode..oh great now I have "HonkyTonk Badonkadonk" in my head.
  3. Funny:  (My boy Jared Koon knows whats coming), if you actually interpret the words of country music realistically, then you'll notice some of these artists need to find better lyrics. Example: In Zac Brown Band's "Whatever It Is" you'll notice a confusing part of a verse from the 1:13-1:21 mark of the song that well, made me and Jared think the girl in the song gets around(Does Zac really know that much about this girl before he settles down with her?).  You don't believe me here's the Official Video on Youtube, make your own judgement. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJrNnRpVHg)  Another funny thing to me about Country has to be Kenny Chesney.  Albeit, he has some songs I like, but the Kenny of late seems to make all of his songs about being at the beach or drinking with people at frat houses that are 20 years his junior.  There's no passion in his music anymore.  Lastly, another big comedic thing for me about country is when you are listening to the radio and it's call-in night and some poor ole wretch calls in and says "Yeah could yall play Blake Shelton's "Austin"(Great Song btw) for me.  My wife Shelby left me about 2 months ago, and I just wanted her to know that if shes out there somewhere and she's listening, I'll take you back baby".  Man if she left you, she is probably sleeping around on you or you are physically abusive.(Only Kidding...Kinda)
Well that's all for today, If you don't like country music then I'm sorry you had to read all that.  It truly was a waste of your time

Signing Off
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment