Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Whole New World

Todays Blog: Technology.  No real excuse for this blog.  It just hit me in the middle of the day.  I used to be a dinosaur in terms of changing with the rest of the world as new technology came out.  I'm still against some of the things used today to communicate and receive information.  I have told people before that new technology(cell phones, smart phones, facebook, twitter, blogging, text messaging, skype, ipads) is stupid and a waste of time only to fall in love with it later.(I really wanna explore the last two)  I was one of those people that didn't have texting or a smart phone until November 2008.  I begged my mother to get us a texting plan because of a girl that I was somewhat talking to kept texting me and I kept having to call her back.(We went on a few dates then that trick explained to me over facebook that I was a plan B and she'd been seeing another guy.  I'm better for it though, she wasn't for me.)  In the Fall of 2009 I finally got caught up with the rest of the world.  I got a HTC Hero powered by Android and of course I couldn't put it down the first 3 weeks.(Still can't sometimes and of course my friends give me good natured ribbing about it.  On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Technology
  1. Good:  Technology is the name of the game today.  If you are behind on it then you are behind on the rest of the world.(My dad will argue this.)  I think we should all be grateful at some of the blessings the Technological Gods have given our generation.  Can you imagine calling people on landlines and payphones being the primary ways to communicate these days?  It would be such a hassle.  I bet the people who make phone books are so pissed that there product is put to the curb these days.  Prime example of technology being awesome: Yesterday I synced songs from my computer to my phone, got an email from a guy I coach  with as an  excel document, had a calender update, checked twitter(12 times a day...best feeling in the world when you have that little bird in the top right corner of your phone meaning I've been mentioned), texted, checked the Braves score(frustrated that Kenshin Kawakami is still in the pitching rotation..He's 0-7), browsed the internet and played games all in one day.  Unreal the time I saved myself and how much more convenient life is now.
  2. Bad: As I mentioned earlier, I check my phone and have my nose in it way too much from time to time.  We sometimes become computers ourselves and lose all our primal and humanistic qualities.  I don't want this to happen to me because I think I'm at my best when my mind and soul are without technology.(If that makes any sense...man I got emotional right there.)  One thing that really bothers me about technology is the use of texting, email and facebook chat when discussing a touchy subject with someone else.  Example: I don't want to have an important conversation with someone through text messages because you can't hear voice tone.  They might interpret you being mean or cruel when you are actually not.  I would never ask out or break up with a girl over a text message.  Its easier for people to communicate through text because the bad response you might give them won't have the affect that your voice would have.  Another example: I love you through a text is meaningless because you don't know if the other person is just going through the motions saying it or if they really mean it.(Man emotional again.)
  3. Funny:  The funniest thing about technology is how old people react to it.  Example: My dad, Jared Koon and I ate at Papa V's(I know that place is my jam and I talk about it too much) on Gumtree Weekend.  My dad went to the bathroom, came back out and said "My lord, have yall ever been to the bathroom here?", Us: No sir Him: "Man everything in there is hands free, the only thing you need your hands for is wiping"(Of course I almost spit gravy on Koon from laughing)  My dad also doesn't know how to look at text.  He can't send them out but he can receive them.  I looked at his phone the other day and he had 93 unread messages.This is what he looks like with a cell phone(come on Steve get with the program..He still uses a Smith and Corona Typewriter to write letters to people instead of email which, to be frank, I think is really cool and I wanna start doing it if the info I'm sending is worth a crap)
Link of the day: I'm never gonna be able to afford any of this stuff but heres a cool site.  Cool Gadgets
Done blogging for today.
Thanks for reading
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment