Sunday, May 16, 2010

In the Words of Luda: Tell me what what what's yo fanta-ta-see

I'd like to apologize for such a late blog today.(Been busy: Had to go get my beat up 96' blazer in Starkville..Thx Vandy).  I couldn't think of a topic for today until just now.  I am heads up tied 5-5 with Bean(Mark Russell) in a Standard Head to Head league.(I need a big night from you Jayson Werth).  Some of you are already reading this and wondering what the hell I'm talking about.  Well folks, I'm talking about fantasy baseball.  But tonight's blog is on fantasy sports in general.(Note: Girls will probably not like this blog, so quit reading now if you want.)  What is fantasy sports?  It is an internet based game that allows you to draft players on to a "so to speak" fantasy team.  For instance I could have Kobe James, Lebron James, Derrick Rose, Chris Bosh and Amare Stoudamire on one basketball team.(though highly unlikely unless I was in a league with kindergartners or was in last place in a keeper league for 6 years.)  I could have put this in the passion blog as much as I work on my teams.(I also could put it in my eventual dork or computer nerd blog) I have spent an hour a day for the last 6 years of my life(at least) checking my fantasy teams.  It took me a minute to do the math so I'll show you: 6 years is 2190 days. I divided that number by 24(hours in a day) and came up with 91.25.  So I have logged 91.25 days(or 3 months) checking fantasy sports.  Can you say dork?  I don't care because I love it.  I am so addicted to this silly game that I even have fantasy teams in sports I really don't care about(Golf(currently in the 89th percentile on Yahoo..booya!), Tennis, NASCAR)  On to Good, Bad and Funny
 Fantasy Sports
  1. Good:  Fantasy Sports give you a break from reality.(Obviously because real life sports teams are never as good as one fantasy team.)  It is a way to splurge on your free time.(It's like shopping or eating carbs for you girls that are still reading todays blog...doubtful)  It is competition.(which I love)  It can also help you with strategies in lineup cards for coaching.(kinda, I highly doubt I'm ever gonna be in a real life coaching situation that relates to: where I don't know if I'm gonna sit Robinson Cano because he's facing James Shields and Howie Kendrick is facing someone the Royals just brought up for a spot start.)  The best thing about fantasy sports is the night of the draft.(For some(me) it is two of the top hours of my year)
  2. Bad: Fantasy sports can be very distracting.  If you're in your leagues playoffs you check it way to much and can't get your real life work done.  Or if you are dating and late for dinner or not paying attention to your woman because you don't know whether to sit Johnathan Stewart against the Bengals and your Iphone is about dead and you have to make a decision by 3pm on Sunday and it's 2:56pm(Hello run-on sentence, whew could of used about 6 commas there)  Also fantasy can be bad if you use it as a coping tool because you are not a good athlete.(I've played in leagues where guys are jacked if they beat you and talk smack...your best response is "well maybe you can play tackle football with us sometime".)  The thing I hate the most about fantasy sports is the bogus trades that go down.(In no way should anyone be allowed to acquire b.j upton and cliff lee for 2 prospects and brian roberts from a guy who hasn't checked his lineup in two months.)  Oh yeah the last thing that sucks is player injuries.  Especially with limited Disabled List spots(It'd be nice if you could stay healthy a full season Manu Ginobili)
  3. Funny: The funniest thing about fantasy sports is the stuff said in the chat room during a fantasy draft.  If you take things too seriously or can't take a joke then I highly recommend you play in one of my yearly leagues with my normal buddies(I can see bean popping his wrist and cussing at his monitor right now..but you're a good sport and fierce competitor buddy)
Link of the Day:  This was introduced to me by none other than fantasy regular and my fantasy comrad Vance McCullough(Its great for fantasy insight and hot news) Rotoworld.com

That's all for today and bless you girls if you hung in there to read this whole blog.  I'll do one on romance comedies and wedding days soon.
Thanks for reading
McKinley

P.S.  I've got a World Cup fantasy league I'm always gonna have my own football league and it's around the corner so if you want in then just give me your email.

No comments:

Post a Comment