Thursday, May 13, 2010

Last Music Blog, I swear.

Definitely want to knock out the music portion of my blog today.(I know it's getting redundant, but music is an important part of my life so I am making myself finish it.(Probably gonna be pretty long today also I want to apologize to Bob Seger(every song is good), Smashing Pumpkins("1979" is pimp tight), Nirvana(Current Default Ringtone on my phone "Lithium"), Eric Clapton(Legend) and Tom Petty(all his songs are good) for leaving them out of the Rock Blog yesterday among others)  In addition to my normal blog format, I'm going to add a link of the day segment, that may or may not have to do with what I'm blogging about that day.  Today I'm going to talk bout these genres: Easy Listening, Oldies, Alt(alot included here) and Pop.  When I think of Easy Listening, the main artists I think of is John Mayer and The Goo Goo Dolls.  There are many artists that fit the easy listening prototype but I can't get their music out of my head when I try to think of them.  As for Oldies, I think of riding in the car with my mom listening to the Beatles or the Who.  My two faves are Elton John and Billy Joel(These two make for the best argument of who you like better).But there are other artists that she listens to that drive me insane(Neil Sedeka).  Alternative is really a mixed bag to me, I put this in here because I didn't want to list every genre possible.(My blog would be insufferable.)  I guess I would say my favorite alt bands(or the most that I have on CD's are Yellowcard(Best song: Only One), Weezer(Best Song: Island in the Sun), Incubus(Best Song: Warmth)and Blink 182(Best Song: I Miss You).  All these best songs are the opinion of the world, not just mine.(Not really)  When I think of Pop I think of 4 women whose music I really like: Kelly Clarkson(lifelong crush), Beyonce(lifelong crush), Sheryl Crowe(grew up on her stuff) and Rihanna.(Special props to the new Selena Gomez and her new song "Naturally". You know you like it guys)  I do like some of Michael Jackson's stuff but I think he might be a fad to college students so I don't listen to him much(i.e. Chuck Norris jokes, Kavu visors)  On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Easy Listening
  1. Good: The best time to listen to Easy Listening is when you are riding in the car alone in a good mood or in deep thought. (I do this alot in my car when my radio is not shorting out.)
  2. Bad: Do not listen to this genre after a break up, tough loss or after a bad day,  it will only make you more depressed.(Funniest thing my old roommate Cade Hoggard ever said: "Of course I was just over at her house and she broke up with me and Rascal Flatts is waiting on me in my bedroom when I get back.")
  3. Funny: A funny thing about this genre is it is emotional and most people don't want to show this emotion in front of their friends.  Most of us have been in a car where the driver has a cd on and forgets that Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" is track 16 and they change it real quick when it comes on.  Someone in the car says "Wait what was that". Then I have to explain myself...errr someone else has to explain his self.
Oldies
  1. Good: Oldies make for good ballpark music.  Old women can enjoy a baseball game, even if they don't like the sport just because the PA guy has the BeeGee's Greatest hits playing.
  2. Bad: This genre sucks if your mom and dad bought 3 tickets to see Michael Bolton at the Bancorp South Arena and can't find someone to go with them.(Thankfully this never happened to me but I've been told this by someone who did have this happen to him...feel for you buddy)
  3. Funny: This really has nothing to do with oldies but I think that my oldies are bands that I listened to in the 90's: Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Fastball, Smashmouth etc..(Friends of mine in the 90s don't act like we didn't listen to it.  If you ever call me out on it I'll expose your true colors.  My mom remembers driving us around listening to "Bye, Bye, Bye" and she'll remind you the next time she sees you if I tell her so own up to it.)
Alternative
  1. Good: This is probably my favorite genre and probably most widely accepted. (Really just because of how broad I am making it in this blog.)
  2. Bad: Some music is labeled this way because they have no home genre.  I hate this for really good bands.(Linkin Park comes to mind)
  3. Funny: The name of the genre is funny in itself.  The music world makes it seem like we are weirdos and don't have any other genre to listen to so we take the "Alternative" route.
Pop
  1. Good: This music is awesome when you're young.  It seems so kid friendly.
  2. Bad:  However this genre can become very redundant.(thanks Taylor Swift...shes definitely not country)
  3. Funny: The funniest thing to me about this genre is when you are at a bar and a song like Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" comes on, literally every girl in the bar rushes to the dance floor like they are giving away free Dolce and Gabbana handbags or someone from the last season of The Bachelor has his shirt off in the middle of the building.
Glad to get the music blog off my chest.  Although I'll probably revisit it eventually.  Now for my new blog feature: The link of the day.
Link of the day:  Todays link is about a high school kid who has a severe handicap that won't let it deter his dream of becoming a basketball manager at the University of Kentucky...even if they are crooked and stole 2 games from my dawgs this past year.(Sorry for dissing your boys Mike Draper..but you will like this anyway)
UK manager didn't let 'no' stop him

Thanks for reading
Mckinley

No comments:

Post a Comment