Monday, May 10, 2010

Winning and Losing

It took me forever today to come up with a blog topic.  Somedays this is easy and somedays it isn't.  After playing 4 grueling games of racquetball and pingpong at the wellness center today,(Better luck next time Laura) I figured winning and losing was an appropriate topic.  Everyone loves winning.(If you don't then call me so I can tell you that you are a liar).  Some memorable wins: pick up basketball over holidays in tupelo(3's make cheese koon and say), the recent pickup tennis ball baseball games we played at my last days at MSU (me going ham http://www.twitvid.com/QSL2I), Bowling although I don't win much(check my swag again http://www.twitvid.com/XFSEI), Legion State Tournaments, High School Playoffs(Kline always looked like a marvel comics character with his jaw-drop emotions if he finished a win on the mound...loved it though), Egg Bowls(41-27, sorry rebs, for what its worth I'm still reeling from the Sly Croom years), Park and Rec Soccer when we were little(the pregame smack talk at school b4 was actually better than the game..you didn't want any of the 95 Silver Bullets by the way(a refreshing step up from my previous team the destroyers, who went 1-12 in league play)...however it would have been nice to have some defensive help come district time, thanks Sam Kline for the most incompetent fullbacks and stoppers ever come crunch time.), Basketball games against county rivals(My boys koon and wesson bringing the white thunda to the Lee County Tournament), Penalty Shootout wins(Tommy Pharr is the best high school shootout goalie of all-time, just don't tell him I said that).  Some don't care as much as others but winning is always a good feeling.  I've never heard anyone say "Man that was a good loss".  You can learn from a loss sure, but you can learn just as much from winning.(Its kind of a double edged sword)  I personally hate losing more than I like winning.(If that makes sense at all)  I feel that if I lose, then for the most part there was one little thing that I did that couldn't put me in the win column. Of course if I'm playng Rafael Nadal in tennis, then it's obvious that he is just that much a better tennis player than me. But I'd immediately challenge him to another competition that played to my strengths and guarantee I'd beat him.(Blitz 2001 on N64 or 1 on 1 basketball...ok maybe not the second but I'd have confidence oozing out my ears.)  You don't always have to apply winning and losing to sports/competition.  You can win an argument or lose a wallet. (hence how I hate losing more than I like winning....I have a velcro wallet now so if it falls out of my pocket I can usually hear it unlatch and I can pick it up before I move from that location).  On to Good, Bad and Funny
Winning 
  1. Good: Whats not good about winning?(If someone becomes homeless or loses their job because you are a winner then I guess that would be a bad thing but that is a rare happening...As a matter of fact if that happens then shame on the cold-blooded soul who won to make that happen)  Self esteem is at an all-time high after a win, unless you come to expect winning.  I've been blessed to be apart of and observe some awesome wins.
  2. Bad: Winning an argument is not the best thing that can happen to you.(Especially with a friend or female companion) Because while your basking in the moment for being right, they are picking a spot to where they can win the next one and make you feel like they do at the present time.(So unhealthy)
  3. Funny: One funny thing about winning is how people associate themselves with it even if they have nothing to do with gaining the win.(I'm guilty as charged sometimes but I'm trying to stay objective)  For instance: If State or Ole Miss beats the other in one of the big 3 sports(football, baseball, basketball) you can expect all your social networks(facebook, twitter) to be beaming with quotes like "Nice loss to LSU, bulldogs how bout yall rehire croom. HOTTY TODDY!" or "Man, Jevan sure did look good leading the rebs today to a win..oh wait loss. He had more interceptions than completions. Ha HAIL STATE!".(In reality folks, these comments suck because we are not the ones playing the game. People just want to associate themselves with a winner)
Losing
  1. Good: A good thing about losing(only thing) is the lesson you can learn from it.  I'm hardheaded and don't want to believe this but it's true.  I guess the only other good thing about losing is losing weight.(I would like to interpret this as a positive though so we'll call it winning your battle with weight issues)
  2. Bad: Theres plenty of bad in losing.  Anger builds up inside you, some more than others(John Cohen, Ed Orgeron, Kirk Gatlin) and leads to cursing, belittleing of others and punching random objects(again Kirk Gatlin).  Losing a loved one is never fun.  Another bad thing about losing is losing a fight in K-12 after school.  With new technologies, the entire student body knows about it within seconds.  I would imagine that you feel as if the next day at school will be filled with guys mocking you and girls being extra nice to you. (But understand that nothing good comes out of a fight, unless you are in the UFC)
  3. Funny: The funniest thing to me is how people make excuses after losing. Example: If you get beat by 30 in just about any sport, trust me the: A) refs were not that bad B) the environment didn't just affect you but also your opponent C) it was raining on everyone, you didn't have a single cloud hovering over you or your team and D) all of the above, you just simply lost because your opponent was better that day
Thats all for today, and if any of you(except Koon in racquetball because he has the stamina of a cagefighter) want to challenge me in a game of ping pong or racquetball, I'll be at the Wellness Center Monday thru Fridays.(Kind of stupid to ask for an opponent in a blog, I'd laugh til I cried if one of you showed up though)

Thanks for reading
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment