Monday, May 3, 2010

Hellos and Goodbyes

What a day to start my blog.  Hello to the world of blogging.  Goodbye to my beloved Mississippi State.  This morning of May 3rd, 2010 will be my first of many blog posts.  I am trying to make my life more productive, and I think a blog will give me a hobby that will help me do that.  Or at least keep me from playing Xbox 3 hours a day.  I usually try to stay away from technology.  I didn't get text messaging or a smart phone until the fall of 2009.  But I have friends who eventually convince me to engage myself in whatever is fresh in culture.  Once I start, I get hooked on things like Twitter, texting, working out, etc...However, today I say goodbye to MSU..as a student at least.  Of course I will be enrolled in the fall, my 8th.  But from a new venue.  I will be student teaching, which is the last step to becoming a teacher and coach, my lifelong passion.  I always have and always will love this campus and everything that it has given me.  Even Sly Croom, who taught us that life is bigger than just football games.  I'll be back for sure, only as an alumni supporting my university through athletic support or philanthropy.  Now that I'm done getting emotional, I'll switch to a few comedic procedures that will hopefully be a mainstay in my blog.
Todays theme: Hellos and Goodbyes
Hellos
  1. A good thing about a Hello is a chance to brighten someones day or simply let them know that you are there.  I think the lady in McDonalds this morning will use the greeting that I gave her in the drive thru window to make her day better.
  2. A bad thing about a Hello is, "Do they really mean hello or are they just going through the motions"?  Example: Say I'm tailgating, which I don't particularly care for, and I meet a guy through a mutual friend.  He gives me the usual "Yeah, hey man how you doing"....then walks off.  I'm as guilty as anybody of the same thing sometimes, but usually I'll always give someone the benefit of the doubt that they are a pretty cool person to talk to.  I do hate conversations, where you know they are going to be so generic.  Like "Hey man, what you been up to? Aw, not much just school and work. I hear ya....Then SILENCE and the two people slowly migrate to another conversation.  A rule of thumb to avoiding these conversations: As soon as the conversation hits the silence, or you know it is going to, say you have to go crap really bad or introduce this bad conversationer to another or a drunk guy that talks to much.
  3. A funny thing about Hellos, is the dialect you recieve and give them in.  For instance, the index finger pointed up on the steering wheel when your greeting on coming traffic or the head nod up or down when walking by a person or at a traffic light.  When it is reciprocated to you, immediately you think yeah I know that guy watches SEC football on Saturdays, mows his own yard and loves well-cooked steak.  At least that's just me.
Goodbyes
  1. A good thing about a goodbye is the person knows you enjoyed talking to them or being with them.  Especially a good word for country music song themes.  Gets me every time.
  2. A bad thing about a goodbye is when you will not see someone for a while.  And obviously when the Good Lord comes knocking when it's "Your Time".  My father owns a funeral home, so he is better at goodbye than I am.  
  3. The funniest thing to me about a goodbye is when you and a buddy are walking away from something, like a baseball game and you took separate cars, yet he doesn't know you parked close to him.  He immediately says goodbye when you leave the stadium.  Then he has to walk with you all the way to the car with an invisible awkward blanket wrapped around him.  You can cut the awkwardness by telling him immediately when you leave that you are parked near him.  But it's more fun to let him bask in the awkwardness, thinking to himself gah why did I say that?
I know today's edition of my blog was long and sometimes it will be shorter, but hang in their with me because I think its going to be a fun ride.

Thanks for reading
Mckinley

2 comments:

  1. nice mac, exactly what i was hoping for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Mac, how's it going? Yeah, me too...

    Well, catch you later.

    Enjoying the post. I am back-reading at the moment. Not a big music fan so I skipped most of those.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete