Monday, May 31, 2010

We Remember

Todays Blog: Memorial Day.  I went to Pickwick Lake this weekend to celebrate Memorial Day Weekend.  Is it just today or an actual weekend...I've heard both.  I actually just went to hang out with friends but on the way back it dawned on me that I didn't know exactly what I did to celebrate the holiday.  I wondered: "How did I celebrate the holiday?" and "What did I do to honor America's fallen soldiers?"  After my thought process was finished, I came up with what most large crowds do when someone has passed on, a moment of silence.  While this was kinda silly to do by myself, I settled on saying a prayer.  I can't exactly remember my exact words but I thanked the Lord for all our the people who have fought for and continue to fight for our country, and died so that we could have many of the freedoms that we do now.  In my opinion, there is a reason we are the most powerful nation in the world: Our country's motto is United We Stand.  I truly believe in this statement.  We all come from different backgrounds and have different beliefs but if there is one thing most of us love it is our country.  So if you feel guilty for not honoring our country's fallen soldiers or don't have another way of celebrating the holiday, then feel free to copy me and many others by saying a prayer in remembrance of them.  On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Memorial Day
  1. Good: By just thinking of the Holiday, it is kind of sad to think about what it really stands for.  But if you look at it outside the box, the main reason people go to the lake or go to festivals or have other ways of celebrating it, it's there way of celebrating the lives of our fallen soldiers.  To me, by celebrating your own life with family/friends, its kind of a way of saying thank you to the ones who can't anymore.(I hope that makes sense because I think I just had an epiphany about it...I love epiphanies, they make you feel really smart)  Another thing that is good about memorial day.  When I look at all the past statues, memorials and monuments like this one, I get chills.  My dad and I took a trip to D.C. on Memorial Day 6 years ago and we looked at all this stuff.  We both sort of choked up talking about it.(I highly recommend a trip to D.C. to see all the cool statues..it puts a lot into perspective....Arlington alone is worth the trip.)
  2. Bad: Obviously, Memorial Day can be a tough day for those who have lost a loved one in the war.  I know its tough when any of us lose someone, but there is not a national holiday dedicated to it.  I also don't really like it when people push the holiday to the side like its not important.  I'm not a warmonger by any means but I do have a tremendous respect for those who have fought for our great country.  
  3. Funny: A funny thing about Memorial Day is how you get the urge to cookout.  I got home from pickwick and immediately walk up our back steps and saw the grill....a sudden urge just hit me like it was the normal thing to do.(We had grilled chicken, sweet potatoes and broccoli...were gonna have squash but there wasn't enough to pick out of our garden.)
Link of the day: I've been real lazy with this so I found a good one today. Its a website dedicated solely to the holiday.  Go check it out.
Thanks for reading
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment