Friday, May 7, 2010

Kriss Kross gone make ya jump, jump, jump..everybody jump, jump, jump

I woke up with a completely clear head this morning, and knew immediately what I was gonna blog about today: Rap Music.  Yesterdays piece on Country just had me in the mood.  I also would like to give my mom kudos for having a fried bologna and cheese omelet cooking when I got up(there will be a special piece on mothers Sunday..duh).  Ahh, Rap.  Hate it or love it, it's here forever.  I personally like all kinds of music, so of course I like this genre too.  I could list all the artists I like and ones that I don't like but I don't have the time or short term memory for it.  I'll cut straight to the Good, Bad and Funny.
Rap Music
  1. Good: Rap is an awesome motivator.(Jeezy- Soul Survivor, Eminem- Lose Yourself) I listen to these while I'm working out and I find an extra gear.(God, I sound like a meathead.)  High School and College basketball team's have used rap as a tool to really get a crowd going.  If only we coudld have Drake on every hook when I was in high school. Example: Shannon, 2002 Lee County Tournament, I witnessed a guy crip walk a flight of stairs...tightest thing I've ever seen.(There's always that section of a gym where there is a choreographed dance going on while music is playing and it is too crunk.  Look up "A night at the dawg pound" on youtube(first video available) and you'll know what I mean P.S. it makes me chuckle..watch the security guard in yellow if possible.
  2. Bad: The message is not always a good one.  It seems if a rapper cannot mention sex, drugs, the degrading of women or vehicles in his song then that said rapper is not successful and also corny. I think it's possible to rap about good things(Twista ft. Faith Evans-Hope) Also, some rappers are just trying to rhyme.  Their lyrics don't make sense.(Thanks Afroman).  It's also difficult to listen to rap in your car without friends present. I'm very guilty of turning the volume down at red lights if I've got my window down.  Example: If it's an old guy beside you, he's going to look at you and slowly shake his head.  If it's a mom with children in her car, she will drop her jaw and think oh how profane.  No matter who it is next to you, unless it's a close friend, your in a lose, lose situation so don't be like me and just roll your windows up and keep it at a decent volume. Also, I'm sick of new Tupac songs.  The guy is alive I'm telling you.  Watch Dave Chappelle's Lost Episodes and there is a hilarious segment on Tupac rapping about current events.
  3. Funny: I find it hilarious when your in class and a guy's ring tone goes off and it's something like Lil Waynes "Drop the World".  He's so embarrased.  He'll either a) slowly reach in his pocket to hit mute and then look around the class for anybody laughing and stare at them like he's real hard or b)really quiver and smile and think to himself "Man, I got to change that".  I like the second guy better.  Another funny thing about Rap is if you hear it at a bar or club, if you look closely there will always be a guy who doesn't quite know the lyrics and his buddies are dancing.  He'll lip sync it and do this movement with his dominant arm pointing around his non-dominant foot multiple times trying to dance until the song is over.(I know it's  hard to comprehend or visualize this movement, but if you see me around ask me and I'll show you how it all happens.)  Speaking of dance, another funny thing to me about rap is how every other artist you hear is about a new dance that rapper created.  Eventually we will all be doing the Superman or Lawnmower.  I don't get it.  This presents a problem if I attempt a certain rap dance to a song that doesn't require it.  Am I supposed to associate that dance with only the songs of that one rapper?  Lastly, if you listen to rap, then I know you've asked yourself this question: Am I going to listen to rap when I'm older?  I personally have answered this question with a yes.  I can see it now: Mac: "Honey have you seen my David Banner CD?"...Wife: "It's in my car right now.  I listened to it on the way to work, you were right I loved "Cadillacs on 22s.""(Do I put 2 quotation marks here?)
I can't believe I just blogged about rap music.  My dad would not approve, but what dad would?
Thanks for reading
Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment