Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fitness/Healthiness

As I foresee in the near future, coming up with blog topics isn't the easiest thing to do in my impromptu style.  But today was pretty simple.  I'm going to work out at the Wellness Center in Tupelo(Joined yesterday, 180$ for a summer membership...crack prices!), so I said to myself why not, I'm gonna write about Fitness/Healthiness in today's blog.  People that know me understand that I am not gonna be on the cover of Men's Health anytime soon(They called me but said they were going with Christiano Ronaldo for their June issue).  However, since January 3rd, 2010, I've taking my physical fitness more serious.  I've lost 33 pounds by participating in a class held at Snap Fitness in Starkville.  Physical appearance is not the most important thing for me, but being healthy is.  As most know, Mississippi is the fattest state in the Union, anyway you slice it.  The only way we can bring that ranking down is by walking the walk(no pun intended, if that was even a pun).  I have eaten healthier the last 5 months(save for lunch meetings with Jared Koon, wouldn't trade em for nothing though buddy.)and, I intend to keep doing that.  My mother and my neighbor/cousin have constructed a garden in our backyard, so we have continued to harvest fresh veggies.  I can't express the difference in fresh veggies and store-bought(not even close in flavor).  I'm not on a diet, I'm just watching what I eat and  the portions I consume it in.   I don't order #13's off fast food menus as much as I used to.(#'s this high on fast food menus usually have bacon, 3 cheeses, and possibly even some sort of comeback sauce)  If you see me dining out in town, and I'm loading up with carbs or fried foods, make me explain myself or simply just hit me in the face and throw my food on the ground and force me to leave.(Probably won't be friends for a while if you choose the latter option, but I'll respect you big time.)  On to today's good, bad and funny.
Fitness
  1. A good thing about fitness is if you join a gym, your support group grows and they want to see you get into better shape.
  2. A bad thing about fitness is it is very hard to have a decent social life and maintain a good workout schedule.(Not as much partying, but it's worth the sacrifice)
  3. A funny thing about fitness is well...everything.  There's always a guy at the gym that's gonna be way too jacked for your attitude.  He might say, "Wassup brother, you come to get jacked out of your f@$*#n mind today.  I just had a Monster, slapped my girlfriend, ate two spoonfuls of peanut butter and a hardboiled egg, hit some dork in the mouth on the way in the gym and I've still focused on making my body a visage."  If this happens to you, your best course of action is to A) say "yeah man" B) walk away or C) say "Nah man, I'm just gonna do a little cardio.  There is also the guy that you haven't seen in a while who comes up to you and wants to talk for 25 minutes.  While this is ok, it does slow your workout down.  Simply tell the guy, "Hey man, I'm gonna try and finish my workout but why don't you give me your number.  I'll call you." (But you won't and this will be fresh on his mind the next day he sees you there so you'll just have to do the routine again)
Healthiness
  1. A good thing about healthiness is how it can increase your longevity if you make it a lifestyle choice.(Of course I've got elders sprinkled all over my family tree that drink, smoke, are sedentary, and order a lot of #14's that live til their 90....mystery to me)
  2. A bad thing about healthiness is it is not very fun.  Savor your cheap or fatty meals because you can't do it all the time.  If your gonna drink, drink heavy so you will feel so bad the next day that you won't want to do it for a long time.
  3. A funny thing about healthiness, is how people lie to themselves about their diet choices.  Some people think that if you drink diet coke with every meal or low carb/calorie beer, you are doing the right thing by your diets standards.(I've been guilty of this)  I know a guy, who drank 14 Michelob Ultras one night and thought this was ok because of their low number of calories/carbs.  I responded to this with a "14 beers isn't on any diet plan".  I doubt he listened.

Well I'm bout to go to the gym and pump some iron(couldn't resist).
Thanks for reading
Mac "Schwarzennaeger" Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment