Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Small Town/Big City

Day 2 of blogging.  What a hassle.  Actually, I've struggled more think about what I was going to blog about today than I was yesterday.  However, by using the approach of the first thing that comes to mind, today's theme became easy to conjure up.  My 2 Hometowns.  Growing up in Tupelo and Plantersville, Mississippi; I've come to appreciate two different ends of the spectrum when it comes to culture.  In Tupelo, you interact with more people, there are more food and entertainment options available to you.  But in the words of Lee Corso, "not so fast my friend."  Living in the country has it's advantages too (mud riding, fishing, scenery).  I feel I've got a nice blend of how to live in each setting.  After driving around running errands in the growing metropolis of Tupelo(kinda), I came to think of all the things I could do in this city: Church league softball, movie theater, mall etc.  I am very fortunate to have lived here for most of my young life.  If I could change it, I wouldn't.  Plantersville(My current location for sleeping) is a quiet town just south of Tupelo.  While not as attractive as Tupelo, it does offer things that the big city doesn't.  For instance, there is Estes Fish and Steakhouse, which has the most underrated salad bar around and where my friend Rodney makes the best catfish in the county(Sorry Malones but you are closed now).  There's also plenty of ponds and farmland to explore on foot or atv, plus Tombigbee State Park(Disc Golf!).  To wrap up today's theme, I want to give a shout out to my childhood friend Alex Carrington from Tupelo who was recently drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the 2010 NFL Draft with the 72nd pick(I used to own him in pickup games, now he'd flatten me). And also to Papa V's Gas Station and Restaurant on the corner of Main and Elizabeth St. in Tupelo.  People from small towns and Tupelo gather here as a place to eat and it's by far the most diverse eatery in the city.  You see farmers, doctors, mechanics, lawyers, truck drivers, investment bankers and everything in between at this venue.  Its a place where a guy that makes $1 million dollars a year says hello to a guy who is covered in oil. Now for todays Good, Bad and Funny.

Small Towns
  1. A good thing about small towns is "everybody knows everybody, everybody calls you friend"(Thanks Tracy Byrd).  I know almost everyone I encounter in Plantersville. 
  2. A bad thing about small towns is "everybody knows everybody......People always know what you are doing.  I can't so much as urinate outside on a tree without a neighbor finding out about it(True story).
  3. A funny thing about small towns is the accent and dialect are clearly different.  If I stop by my mechanic and he tells me that I'm leaking oil, he also has to explain to me about how he had the same problem with his 94' Dodge Ram a few years back and what he did to fix it. Example: "Man my ole Dodge Ram was pouring black bout 6 odd years ago. My eldest son flushed it and rebuilt the tank, then the dealer bent me over for a Leben Hunnerd for my fuel injecshun pump.  As I stand dumbfounded not understanding a word he said, my only repsonse is "Man, that sucks.  So what's wrong with my car again?"(This is my Uncle Perry fixing my car btw)
Big City
  1. A good thing about a big city is the shopping.  While I'm not a big shopper, I do enjoy the occasional trip to the mall.  No way could I get a copy of Dan Brown's Lost Symbol(Awesome book!) in Better Buy Grocery in Plantersville.
  2. A bad thing about a big city is the traffic.  Recommended streets of travel in Tupelo: McCullough Blvd., Lawndale, Cliff Gookin. Less stop lights, Higher speed limits.  Stay off of Main, Gloster, and Jackson.
  3. A funny thing about a big city is the large amount of neighborhoods there are to roll yards in.  If I had a dollar for every yard I've rolled inside Tupelo City Limits, I'd have about 29 dollars.  Best Work ever done: Kyle Mills yard in the summer of 2005.  Shouldn't have had to clean it up(Thanks for snitching Kirk Gatlin).
Thx for reading,
Ya boi Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment