Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Youre born, you live and then you die

I pondered finishing up the musical genre blog today, but instead I found a more fitting entry considering the events of my day. Today's blog(sorry for the lateness of it...busy day plus I found an awesome new calorie counter app on my phone,  worked out and watched lost) is about life and death.  Sounds like I've gone off the deep end I know but, today I went and picked up the human remains(body) of Mr. Murphy Watson at Delta Airlines Cargo in Memphis so that my father could have his funeral around his loved ones here in Tupelo.(thanks for riding koon, great lunch at colton's anyway plus it would have been a eerie ride back alone with him)  While I know hardly anything about the guy(save for that he was my mothers high school chemistry teacher..she said he was a great teacher and great man), it made me think of his life and death.  Life...We should all be thankful to have it.  It's such a simple and commonly used word that we hardly ever examine it. (And I don't intend to in tonights blog in great detail because well..it's a blog not a research paper)  Death...Not exactly an attractive word.  These two things are about as pure and simple as it gets.  Most of think that they are all part of God's plan and are just natural process.(At least I do.  Dont want to ruffle any religious feathers today.  We'll save that for another day) On to Good, Bad and Funny(death might be a struggle in the funny department but I'm bout to give it a shot)
 Life
  1. Good: Like I said it's simple. Its so difficult to really wrap your mind around this term because its such a broad topic(and probably boring if you are still reading this blog).  When I think of life, I think about the joy of living.  For me, that means doing these 3 things: laughing everyday, spending some time in deep thought whether it's for one minute or an hour and lastly having empathy.(I'd like to apologize to the late Jim Valvano for stealing this idea.  He used it in his speech at the Espy Awards before he died and I'll always remember it.  He said if you do these three things each day then you have had a complete day.)
  2. Bad: Obviously the life we all lead can be bad.(No one is perfect)  I think the worst thing someone can do is spend their life not being themself.  Example:  It's easy to model yourself after your parents because they are the ones who raised you.  But it's still ok to share different values and feelings than they do.  I share a lot of my dad's values and feelings but for the most part we don't think alike often.(I'll save the rest of that for the fathers day blog)  Also, I think it's bad to live a boring or sheltered life with no adventure or spontaneity.  If you routinely do the same thing everyday of your life then you are not living, just an opinion.(My grandmother might argue with me but she is old so I doubt she could still travel the world but she does the same thing everyday, which is my point)
  3. Funny: Some funny things to me about life: Life the Board Game(this is only funny to me because its a game for kids and really it just teaches them how to be businessmen/women and stockbrokers...so much for wanting to be a fireman when you grow up), Life Cereal(I can't wrap my brain around this brand.  I just don't see how cereal helps you embrace life, it almost makes me think that the company advertising it wants to make kids think that if you eat this cereal then you'll have a good life..i'm a hearty breakfast guy anyway), Life the Movie(Oh my god if you haven't seen this movie then you need to get off your rear end and go rent it now. Its about 2 guys who spend a life in prison..heres a preview clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqvnZdemmts)  Another thing that makes me laugh is the term life of the party.  This really just means you were the most obnoxious or drunkest guy at any given event.(some people think this is a cool thing to be this guy, but in most cases its not)
Death
  1. Good: Not much can be said that is good about death. The only thing I can think of that's good is after death, you will go to heaven and walk beside Jesus.(I believe this.)
  2. Bad: There will always be sadness and mourning after deaths.  It's awful when someone you love dies.(Miss you Mamaw, Chuck, and MollyBoo) I personally hate funerals.  I don't like the entire process of them.  There's always people there that you never know, that probably barely know the deceased, but come anyway because it's what society expects.  Sounds harsh I know, but I truly believe people go just to be seen sometimes. (Trust me I wouldn't have made this comment if I haven't been to a ton of funerals.  When your dad owns a funeral home and you are there a lot, if you don't know the person whose funeral it is, you get bored and start to observe people at that funeral) 
  3. Funny: It was really hard to think of something funny about death, but I did come up with something amusing to me.  I could be dead wrong, but I feel like all really heavy metal bands use the word death upwards of 20 times in each of their songs.(you know all the ones you can't understand because the entire song sounds like one guy yelling in a voice that sounds like he's got snakes all over him needs help. (sorry Cade Hoggard if you like this music))
I hope that blog was as (fill this blank -------with an adjective) for you to read as it was interesting for me to write.
Thanks for reading
Mckinley

1 comment:

  1. Your "eerie ride back home" reminded me of a story my father used to tell. His friend Solon Wilkes in Louisville was in the funeral home business and frequently asked my father, who was his pastor, to accompany him on these runs to pick up a body. On a longer-than-usual run, the two of them had stopped at a "filling station" for a break. Solon had gone to the restroom when my dad was approached by a hitch-hiker about catching a ride to the next town. Dad explained to the man that they were travelling in a hearse, and if the man didn't mind riding in the back with the deceased, he was welcome to ride with them. The man agreed. He got in the hearse and promptly laid down to rest. Several minutes passed before the other two men returned to the hearse. Dad forgot to mention to Solon that they had a hitch-hiker in the back. They had been on the road for a few minutes, when the hitch-hiker sat up and tapped on the window between the two compartments. It spooked Solon so bad that he ran in the ditch. My father would bend double with laughter telling this.

    ReplyDelete