Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Police...Not Stings Band

After seeing what I saw last night, today's topic was clear to me when I woke up this morning.  Today I'll talk about the police.  Last night after I left a 4 hour tryout(ugh!), I got home around 9:45 and stripped down to nothing but my boxers(common thing for me...I put high priority on being comfortable), my mom immediately yelled from the other room, "Mac come on, one of my officers has wrapped his squad car around a light pole."(He was chasing a bad man in a Suburban)  As I reluctantly put my clothes back on, I got in the car and headed down Briar Ridge towards East Tupelo.  We pulled up to the scene and you would have thought that a 5 story building was on fire with all the law enforcement vehicles around.  I got out with my mom, took a long look at the vehicle and saw her deputy inside trapped.  My heart sunk immediately.  Not until I got word that he was concious and talking, did I feel easy again.(I didn't even know the man but you feel for anyone in a wreck)  After the situation cooled, I stood away from the ruckus and pondered why there were so many cops there.I asked a random cop and he said to me "Anytime one of our on is in trouble we all come to the rescue, it's like a brotherhood."(Immediately I wanted to have a two-hour chat and cup of coffee with this officer.  I thought that was really cool...however it seemed like some were standing around trying to micromanage the situation saying things like: "I got a flashlight in the truck." or "yeah he took a good lick" or "zit spost to rain tomorruh" but for the most part they all cared about the situation.) One of the officers actually brought me the injured officers cell phone and asked if I could unlock it so they could call his wife..I felt like if I didn't know how to unlock it then I would be considered unhelpful at a big moment...I had no clue how to find the mute button to unlock the Blackberry so of course I handed it off to someone else and they found it..If I would have got a BlackBerry in 2003 when everyone else got one then maybe this wouldnt be so difficult)    On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Police
  1. Good: Policemen are essential.  There motto is "to protect and serve" and for the most part I think they do a decent job of that.  If you need proof that policemen are good people, just watch the movie World Trade Center.(excuse Nicholas Cage for trying to overact as usual because it's really good and a tearjerker)
  2. Bad: Sometimes policemen fall into the typical cliche: Picked on in high school and now they are in a position of power so they abuse it.  Sad as it is, it's sometimes true.  I've come across many who can't seem to get the chip off their shoulders. Example: Once I was pulled over for not getting into the left land on Hwy 82 when a policeman had someone pulled over outside the right lane.  I was trapped in the right lane and couldn't get over as cars were filling the hammer lane so I slowed down(the only thing I knew or thought to do)  As I passed by him he waved his arm ticked off yelling at me.  He pulled me over just inside the highlands(my old neighborhood, miss it big time). He pulls up says "LICENSE AND REGISTRATION, NOW".  I handed it to him, he walked off and 2 minutes later came back and handed me 3 items back instead of 2.(Im not an idiot I knew what this was.)  He then said, "You not know to get over when someone is pulled over in the right lane.  I kindly explained the situation and he then said, "That didn't happen I saw you for a quarter mile speeding in the right lane".(I thought to myself, how could you be writing someone else a ticket and watching me come over a hill for 400 yds.) I took the ticket and paid it(only 40 bucks), but my experience with this officer was unpleasant to say the least.(It's not my fault he's divorced, with a mortgage to pay and is still fuming from his days of being picked on)
  3. Funny: Obviously chasing someone on foot is either not a problem or not a big concern of the local pd anymore.  Last night I saw uniformed offensive linemen and sumo wrestlers.(I would put a donut joke here but it's too cliche.  But 71% of them looked like this) patrolling the scene.  How any of them could catch a fast criminal on foot is beyond me?(For that matter I'm not sure if many of them could catch me and my surprising speed..I'm not that fast but don't let me get neck and neck with you, I'm like seabiscuit, I'll look in your eyes and hit another gear.)
Link of the Day: Funniest cop video ever: It just shifted out of gear(excuse his profanity)
Thats all for today peeps, thanks for reading(please recommend me a new sign off statement if you can think of one, I'm open to suggestions)

McKinley

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to get home to see the pic and video. I can't get access at school.

    I understand the brotherhood thing and all but all it takes is some thug or redneck getting word that all cops within a ten mile to twenty mile radius are at this crash scene. There is nothing that the others can do and there should be a policy in place about responding to all calls equally, regardless of who is involved. If that were me trapped in the car then I would want only the essential members there and everyone else to get their keesters back to work, protecting and serving.

    And what is up with fat-boy Joe and the cop image? I started seeing the same thing in the military but there was consistency in kicking those guys/gals out for failing to meet the physical fitness standards (including body fat ratio coupled with a PT test). They were put on a plan to loose weight for six months to a year and then retested at various points throughout. Those who failed to consistently meet the standards suffered pay loss and eventually were kicked out.

    Great post.

    Daddy Moose

    ReplyDelete