Saturday, June 5, 2010

America's Pastime

This is the latest I've ever done a blog.  I've been so busy today that I literally haven't had the chance to sit down and do it.  What took up most of my day was a baseball game.(Also special shout out to Paul Thorn who just put on a heck of a show at Elvis Fest).  As of this second, the Tupelo 49ers(American Legion baseball team I help coach) are a perfect 2-0.  I'm very happy with this and I am excited about our team this summer.  If I had to choose one sport to be apart of this would be it, and I'm happy to finally blog about it.  On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Baseball
  1. Good: Where do I begin?  To me, baseball is the the purest sport ever played.  I love the look of the field, the sound of a mitt popping, the roar of the crowd, the camraderie of the dugout, going to the field on Friday looking for a win and I love waking up Saturday morning when you've found one and everything else about this game.  Its a simple game but also a complex one.  One of the better coaches I've been around once told me "It's a game within a game".  This is hard to understand for non baseball enthusiasts but it makes so much sense to those of us who love this game.  I've grown up around this game my whole life and I still learn something from it everyday.  I am obviously a huge MSU baseball fan(even though they're down right now, the horizon looks good).  I'm also a passionate Atlanta Braves fan.(I can still remember watching games on the living room floor with my mom when I was 5.  Can't talk about them without bringing this guy up....The Legend)  Most people think its crazy to follow one team so strongly but I think it's good for the soul to take part in something you can't control.  
  2. Bad: Just like any major professional sport, baseball has it's fair share of problems: from the kid from Detroit getting his perfect game taken away the other night, to players worrying about their contracts and appearance instead of winning games, to steroids becoming so integral to a players success..  Amongst these 2 things, the one thing that gets me upset more than anything about this game is when someone disrespects it.  There are many styles and theories to how teams go about winning, but there is truly only one way to play this game.  It can't be described in a few short sentences, but effort and passion are what drive it.  If you do not love this game, you shouldn't be a part of it.(This guy knows what I'm talking about)
  3. Funny: This is a wacky game.  I can't tell you how many funny stories I have a from baseball games.  You can't play this game the right way without having fun after all.  (Heres a funny video if dropped flyballs are your thing....there's just something funny about confused looks on old men's faces trying to catch a little ball.
Link of the day: This gives me goosebumps...so I give you Lou Gehrig...if you don't know the story look it up because its a good one.

This blog was much shorter than I would have liked for it to be because I could talk about it for days.(I'll probably do a follow up at some point)  But it's late and I've got to hit the hay before church tomorrow morning.
Thanks for reading
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment