Friday, June 11, 2010

Every four years we all agree on one thing....

Blogging to you live from Dyersburg, Tennessee Comfort Inn(Can't believe this dump has Wifi) I've decided to do today's blog on The World Cup, since it started today.  I love this tournament...for that matter I love any tournament...I'm at one right now.....I should probably go ahead and do this blog on tournaments but I'll save it for another day.  Oh I forgot...World Cup that's right...Special Props to the homestanding underdogs South Africa(or Bafana Bafana if your a soccer nut) gaining a tie with Mexico, a team that's ranked 13th in the world to their 50th.  I couldn't be more excited about the USA vs. England game tomorrow.(Our boys will have to be at their best for us to have a shot.)  On to Good, Bad and Ugly.
The World Cup
  1. Good: This is THE sporting event.  It's bigger than the super bowl and world series.  To be quite honest, there is nothing more associated worldwide as a single event that is more important to our planets inhabitants.  This tournament gives its participating countries people something to be apart of.  You could see it on the faces of the home fans of South Africa today.  .It's especially great for countries who are not as fortunate as others.  The tournament itself boasts the worlds best players.  Watch out for that Lionel Messi(Argentina) this year.  He's unbelievable.  I'm excited about the young crop of players the U.S. has on board for now and for the future.  Just watching how the pools play out and listening to the english color commentary guys is worth watching.  I love how they have seperate terms for stuff.
  2. Bad: Some countries take this tournament too seriously.  They have riots and people get injured and some even die just because a countries fans are mad because their team is put out.  I guess it's understandable that they would put such an emphasis on winning since other countries don't have mainstream professional sports like we do in the U.S., but that is a little excessive. 
  3. Funny: I think it's funny talking to the casual American guy that thinks he is the end-all be-all of soccer information.  Especially when that guy is from Mississippi.  Speaking of which, I think it's funny talking to old people about soccer.  It's like speaking Japanese to them.  They don't have one care in the world about soccer.  If I brought up soccer when my dad's side of the family meets up for holiday meals, then I'd probably be disowned by many uncles.
Link of the Day: Click here for all your world cup 2010 needs

Thanks for reading and Go USA!
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment