Thursday, June 17, 2010

Means of Transportation

I'm absolutely ecstatic today.   I mean there's World Cup action, the U.S. Open is on, the NBA Finals Game 7 is tonight, church softball playoffs, baseball tournament in Memphis this weekend.  However none of these things makes me more happy than the fact that I picked up my 1996 Chevy Blazer from Benny Hankins Auto Shop today.  While this might not be a big deal to many, it's huge for me.  Over the last 2 months or so, I've bummed a ton of rides and driven at least 10 different vehicles from family and friends as a way of getting around.  While I wasn't too happy with the cost of repair, I'm thrilled that my car is finally healthy and safe to drive.  On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Means of Transportation
  1. Good:  What is not good about having a way to get around?  Could you imagine before the early 1900's when the best you could do would be a carraige or riding a horse?(Riding a horse everywhere would be cool I admit.)  
  2. Bad: I'm not one for flash.  I don't really understand why people buy cars that look like this or this.  I think that most of the people that buy really expensive cars are rich and want to show off their money or are poor and put more money into their car then they do their house.  I just a "car that gets me from a to b kinda guy".(In my dream scenario I would have a car that resembles a salty second baseman, like Former Atlanta Brave Mark Lemke....not gonna ever hit 30 home runs but is a good contact hitter and reliable defender and plays hard)
  3. Funny: Just to further explain my entire family's care about what our cars look like, you remember when your parents used to drop you off at school?  Well my dad used to have a 1981 Chevrolet Caprice Classic( like this except for white with only 2 hubcaps).  When he had to drop me off or pick me up in public, it was downright embarrassing.  However, he loved the car(up until the day it got stolen...that's what he gets for leaving his car unlocked with the keys in it...still does actually...crazy)
Link of the Day: Because I'm talking about cars today, I leave you with a great song from Alan Jackson

Thanks for reading
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment