Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Father's Eyes

It's pretty obvious what I was going to blog on today.  Father's Day or just fathers or my father.....Duuuhhhh you get the point.  I kind of like days like this(nationally celebrated days) because I can think a tad ahead and hopefully turn out a pretty good blog.  Well, let's get to know my dad.  I really don't have the time or patience to type his entire bio, but most of you know that he owns Holland Funeral Home(once Western Connection), he's been a State Representative for I think 27 years, he's a part-time farmer(or so he says....let's just say he likes mowing and stuff) and he has recently lost 120 or so pounds thanks to lap-band surgery a few years ago.  On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Fathers
  1. Good: Some good qualities about my dad: He is a relentless worker,(I really don't know anyone who works harder at what they do....He's one of those old school dads that finds something to do if his to-do list is checked off...which is never)....anyhow he's taught me the importance of hard work and for that I'm forever grateful, He has always made sure I've had food on the table and have a vehicle(well sometimes not a safe ride) to drive, and lastly he is an absolute good time.  He can have fun with anyone.  It doesn't matter if you are black, white, green, blue, democrat, republican, methodist, baptist, state fan, ole miss fan.  If you are going to invite anyone that can mesh with a crowd, it's my dad.
  2. Bad: I know I said that he is a relentless worker and man do I mean it.  He hardly has time for anything so when we get a chance to spend a moment with each other, we usually take it.  Sometimes it comes with a work ordeal.  For instance: the other day I had to take him to a mechanic and funeral home and I guess you would say my reward for it was checking out my ancestors old neighborhood and graves on Palmetto Rd. past Verona.(Doesn't seem like a great time to most, and I wasn't thrilled about it at first but once I did it I was glad because I think we should all figure out where we come from.)  Lastly, we don't really see eye to eye on much.  For instance: I'm a sports guy and he's not, he likes politics and I don't, he likes funerals and I don't....yadda yadda yadda but we make it work.
  3. Funny:  There are plenty of funny things about my dad.  One, is the way he dresses.  He can definitely look dapper at times, but some times he wears the funkiest old clothing that usually widows give him after their husbands die.(Seriously)  I'm by no means a fashion guru but he just really looks like he doesn't have a clue what to wear sometimes.  For instance: My favorite Steve Holland combo is cut off green tank top, jorts and flip flops.  Also he has a million sayings(exaggerated). Like he says everyone's middle name is wayne.(Or at least he refers to them as that...even females)  He also has little sayings like: "Nashville is about the most fun I've had with my pants on".  Lastly, his knowledge of anything new is completely whack.  For instance: One day he came in my room about 5 years ago and I was playing a football video game.  He sat down beside me and said "Who's playing?"....I played along and said "MSU and Nebraska"....he then said "You mean to tell me we play Nebraska this year, why didn't any of us go".....Finally I said "Dad you've got to be kidding me, it's a Wednesday night in August(not even football season) and I have a controller in my hand. ITS A VIDEO GAME!!!!"...He then said "Well that beats all I've ever seen, it looks so real".  
Link of the day: A little Clapton never hurt anyone

Love you Dad and thanks for reading everyone,
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment