Friday, June 4, 2010

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's just another generic marvel comics movie

Today I'll continue with my movies blog.  I figure since horror was my last movie blog, that I'll continue on with another genre that I usually don't care for: Hero/Marvel Comic Book Movies.  Since they are on such a comeback swing the past decade, I figured they at least deserve a blog.  I'm gonna go ahead and continue on to Good, Bad and Ugly.
Hero/Marvel Comic Book Movies
  1. Good:  While I don't like them now, I loved them when I was a kid.  When you see one of these movies as a kid, it makes you feel like that the main hero character(s) are real.  You run out of the theater mimicking your favorite ninja turtle(I was Michaelangelo) or act like you are flying like batman.  I love that kids these days get the opportunity to see these movies, because technology and advancements in the movie making business seem to make them more enjoyable.  
  2. Bad:  Note: I have many problems with this genre of movies.  I feel that along with horror movies, these are the most generic and predictable movies in today's cinematic world.(For instance: There are only so many story lines that someone can come up with for these movies to be successful.  If its the first movie of a trilogy then the first one will end with either a)the hero saving a girl and or b)the villian will appear to be dead at the end but there will be one little flicker that he/she will be back for a sequel or a whole new villain will be introduced.)  But in my opinion, that's not why people go see these movies these days.  I think they go because of the extra crap that make certain scenes...for a lack of a better word explosive.  There are always crazy explosions, new gadgets and guns, and new armored suits for heros.  And to compensate for the poor acting in these movies, all they do is make the superhero look bigger and make the villains seem more twisted thinkers(but in reality the villain still just wants to rule the world.)  I understand that these movies might be designed to attract more adults to see them, so that they can feel like a kid again.  However, I think that they have gotten so advanced with more than just the general "save the world from bad guys theme" that they might be more adult appropriate than they are for kids. (I'm giving Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter a pass because they are so well put together, and even though there is a bunch of technology used in the movies, the storylines and acting are what really grab you...Can't wait to see Deathly Hallows and The Hobbit)
  3. Funny: Like I said before the acting in these movies is usually subpar.(Shame on you Don Cheadle for being in Iron Man 2....you have been such a solid actor and under the radar your whole career til now.  Please go back to being Hollywood's best unknown actor)  For instance: Michelle Rodriguez character "Trudy" in Avatar adds nothing to that movie. Seriously click here if you don't believe me, Every line she says in the movie she tries to make a catchy punchline.(However I'm also excluding this from the bad section because I thought the storyline was great and in general if you give someone 300$ million dollars to make a movie, its hard to screw up.  Another case is here: Christian Bales work as the new Batman, I mean seriously this is a joke...he takes all the credibility out of the role I loved as a child that Adam West and Michael Keaton excelled in.
Link of the Day: I'm so going to see this movie

Thanks for reading
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment