Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Immigration

Pretty easily inspired for today's blog.  This morning, I traveled with my family to Memphis, TN to the Office of Homeland Security to see my brother(foster-brother really but we're past that label) become an Official American Citizen.  We started this crazy journey 17 years ago and it was the best decision our family has ever made.  Haiwei was born in China, his father died at an early age and then he moved with his mother to a Dutch speaking island in South America.(I know bogus right)  His mother then sent him to live with her sister(might not be accurate here) Alice in Tupelo.  He join my multi-age(3rd-4th grade combined...sickest kickball team ever me, will, t, haiwei, and brent gray...you didn't want it) classroom when I was in 3rd grade.  Of course we were all fascinated by his physical stature(biggest chinese 4th grader ever...save for Yao) and just because he was of a different culture.  He spoke no English and of course we always tried to get him to say something in chinese...but he wouldn't.  One day, he and I were at the computer station for fun time(or whatever the teachers called it..pretty much inside recess) and we both went straight to the Oregon Trail icon.(miss that game...my character always died of cholera by the time the wagon reached Montana)  Out of nowhere, he spoke to me.  I can't remember exactly what he said but I think I was the first American he spoke to.(His case is one of the most impressive displays of learning I've ever seen...He taught himself English)  After this, we began to have conversation together.(albeit in random areas away from recess...it probably looked like we were trying to smuggle drugs or smoke cigarettes we were so far away from everyone else.)  Anyway........my parents took him in as a foster child during 6th grade.  He has since been just like a regular family member to all of us.  He now has a almost 5 year old rugrat named Emma(pain in the rear end) and is a full time employee at China Capital.  So finally I say congrats Haiwei...We are proud of you.  On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Immigration
  1. Good:  Our country is known as the land of opportunity.  If you could see the look on some of these peoples faces this morning when they gained their citizenship, you wouldn't be able to help but be happy for them.  I would say that at least half of our countries immigrants came from less fortunate backgrounds and I for one am happy to share our great country with them.  After all, immigration did bring me my brother.
  2. Bad:  Obviously we can become overpopulated.  People coming here illegally doesn't help anything.  It is my hope that they are all here to at least earn an honest living.  This might be a little harsh to say but: if you have seen the movie Traitor(if not you should...it's a thriller) then you could see why I would be a little worried about people immigrating to our country.  Also, immigration is the reason we have such long holdups at the airport and other random security checks in my opinion.(Its understandable though.)  What I hate is when they check a 90 year old woman from Pigsknuckle, Arkansas's shoes to see if she has weapons or bombs.  I mean come on.
  3. Funny:  Kind of off topic but the language barrier is hilarious to me.  For instance: When Haiwei was still learning English he still had trouble with simple American phrases like instead of saying "What time is it?" he'd say "How many o'clock?" and he called my odometer my speedomonitor.  He used to call me Mac Cheeseburger and had the funniest way of saying roast beef.  Also, when we started playing church basketball together...people were amazed that he could ball.  Of course he was 2 feet taller than everyone else at the time.  I swear he has been 6ft tall for 15 years.
Link of the Day: While I don't have footage yet of todays ceromony this is what it was like kinda

Thanks for reading
McKinley

1 comment: