Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Father, Son and Holy Spirit....or whatever floats your boat.

Lots of meaningful blogging going on in Plantersville, MS this evening.  I have been thinking about this specific blog for a while but I just haven't really wanted to do this one late at night....I wanted to have a clear head and plenty of time to do it in.  Today, I'm doing my blog on religion.  Before you get immediately defensive about your beliefs, just hear me out.  I have been trying to become a better Christian for a while now.  I had the best conversation about it with my buddy Will at lunch the other day.  He is kinda in the same path I am.  I'm the guy that if someone ask me if I'm a Christian, I'll say yes.  But realistically, its normally a defense mechanism for me because I'm not a true Christian yet.  I am not strong enough to block out all the bad things from my lifestyle....but I am getting better.  I am trying to surround myself with good people instead of the ones that drag me down.  However, I want to get to the point to where I'm comfortable around anyone and still strong in my faith.  On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Religion
  1. Good: Obviously, I think it's good to have faith in a higher power.  I'm am discovering as I get older that reading the bible and paying closer attention to sermons is so rewarding.  I'm not to the level of knowing and acting as Christ would(I'll never be) but I feel like my life is more important to me with him as a part of it.  I have had trouble understanding the very opening pages of the bible but I'm catching on and want to read all of it.  I know people say to start at different places, but I want to accomplish reading the whole book, to try and grasp its full meaning.  Also, I want to find a permanent church as I settle down and get older.  It might take me a while to tour different churches, because for one I don't know where I'll be in 5 or 10 years, but I might just stick my head in your church one Sunday to see if I like it, in hopes of finding a new home.
  2. Bad: The things I hate the most about religion is the arguments people get into deciding what is right and wrong.  I don't think it is a waste of time spreading the word of your religion, but when people constantly argue about religion they probably are wasting their time.  What I'm really trying to say is, people here argue over methodist vs. baptist but their are other countries that argue over it and go to war over it.  While we don't do that, it still doesn't help us coexist.  If we are strong enough in our respected faiths then we shouldn't need to worry about someone elses.  Also, I understand that I live in the Bible Belt but, I'm also not a big fan of shoving religion down someone's throat until they believe in that specific religion.  My buddy Jared Koon(who I just shared some delicious Dodge's 4th meal with) is by far the best person I know to talk about God and all things holy.  He has a way of helping me understand things that I normally wouldn't in regards to religion.  If you need someone to talk to, he's your guy.(It would be really funny if upwards of 20 people called him tomorrow about this topic)
  3. Funny: I think kids church is really funny.  Kinda in a Bill Cosbyish way.  Its great that they have their own segment in church.  People are trying to teach them the word of God and in the middle of the service they just bust out talking about bubble gum when the spotlight is on them.
Link of the day: This song best describes where I'm at in my path to enlightenment.
Thanks for reading
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment