Monday, June 14, 2010

Let's meet in the middle

After perusing through channels this morning, it was pretty easy for me to come up with a blog topic for today.  How I got here?  I cut on the TV and jeopardy(such a great show that will keep your mind sharp even when you're done with school) was on.  One of the categories was Presidential campaign slogans.  When it went to commercial, I channel surfed til I landed on the movie Frost/Nixon.  I've seen it before but I wanted to watch the end again.  After about 10 minutes of deep thought, I decided to do today's blog on Politics.  This word is nothing new to me as my father has been a politician for 26 years(I think).  On to Good, Bad and Ugly.
Politics
  1. Good: As I've grown up over the years, I've realized that this is probably the most important aspect of our countries government.  We decide who will make our decisions for us with elections(seems like there is one every few months).  To me the only thing that is good about politics is that it's pretty cut and dry in today's media, where big political figures stand.  This helps when deciding who you're gonna vote for.
  2. Bad: Warning: This section is going to be really long.  To me, Politics have absolutely ruined this country.  As you get older, you now have to come with a label.  The question you always have to answer: Are you a Republican or a Democrat?  I absolutely hate this.  We always pre-judge people that are largely associated with one of these parties.  I personally am a proud Independent, despite my father being a card carrying Democrat.  I differ with some of the ideas that both Republicans and Democrats have.  I just can't understand why we all can't take every issue one at a time and come to more rational decisions as one party(or nonpartisan) to help make our country a better place.  It's an absolute joke to me how people in both parties act a year before and a year after Presidential elections.  Some of the stuff I've heard about both of the main candidates in the last Presidential election is absolutely absurd.  My question is this: Did we make the right decision?  Some will say yes and others will say no.  So with this line of thinking going on after every election, you can't really say we as a country have ever made the right decision when it comes to electing a president.  People will always blame the present president's problems on the past president.  This is why I'm undecided on the next time I'll vote in a major election.  After all, I've hardly ever personally known anyone that I've voted for.  I've voted for my dad before just because he is my dad.  I've also voted against people who my father has voted for.  Without being able to form our own opinions, instead of listening to others and just hopping on the bandwagon because other people are voting for a certain person, I don't think we'll ever get it right.  For the record, I think the last two presidents were elected because everyone just said yeah man vote for him, the other guy sucks.  And I wouldn't doubt if our next president is elected by the same means.  We all need to quit picking sides and just meet in the middle. Remember  also people, 95% of politicians(personal opinion) don't really care about you when they are campaigning, they just want your vote.  I can't recall how many times I've ran into politicians for a second time and they don't even remember who I am.  It's because when I talked to them the first time, they were just trying to get elected.  In reality, good people will be good people and bad people will be bad people, so be careful when you are picking a party or voting for someone.  Fwhew, told you that was gonna be long. 
  3. Funny:  Now that my rant is over, this movie trailer should lighten the mood.  This movie turned out to be pretty non partisan in the end, so I like it. 
Link of the Day: We elccted these guys....howard dean hahah byaah!

Thanks for reading
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment