Friday, June 18, 2010

Ask your parents if you can stay?

A little down time right now between games in Memphis has given me the opportunity to blog.(Understatement actually: We were supposed to play at 1230 and 8 but our noon opponent didn't show up)  I pretty much knew what I was gonna blog about when I woke up this morning.  I stayed at some buddies house in Oxford last night, so I could shorten my drive up here and be able to watch the World Cup game this morning.(such a dissapointing tie and not because of the referees.)  I'm probably gonna stay with my sister in Memphis tonight because we play at 10 and 3 tomorrow(Sweet scheduling Memphis Tigers- 4 games...well 3 in 24 hours....nice) Anyway today's blog is on sleepovers.  On to Good, Bad and Funny.
Sleepovers
  1. Good: While I'm too old to really call staying at someone elses house a sleepover, I can't help but enjoy doing it.  Just being in another family's home even if for one night is a whole different element.  You become accustomed to how they do things if you are there a lot.  For instance: If you are at Will Klines residence, you can pretty much expect his father Sam to be watching Cops or Intervention at some point in an evening and his mother Missy to have a meal prepared or doing a Sudoku puzzle from the days paper, if you are at Jared Koons house you can expect his mother Teresa to have plenty of bottled water in the fridge and usually something baked.  You come to expect these things so it's almost normal for you to be there.  As for having friends over to stay(well at least through teen years and high school), these are some of the most fun nights of your life.(to me at least)  Back in the day, if you ever spent the night at my house, you could always expect to get into a little mischief. You might go roll a yard, or light a dog poo bag on fire on someones doorstep, or prank calling people, or play basketball til 3 am or listen to loud music all night.  One of the best things about a sleepover is the "late night convo"(term my friends and I coined in high school) at the end of every night that we came to expect.  I would like to especially thank my parents and neighbors on Polk St. for being so kind as to let us do any of this. It mainly all happened because they all could sleep through anything.  We never got one complaint from them.
  2. Bad: There is always that night where your parents just say "No and thats final"...."You can't have company and you can't stay anywhere".  This is usually because you have to be somewhere at 8 in the morning and they don't want you up all night.  I get it, but man did it make me mad back then.
  3. Funny: Theres always that guy that will attempt to stay at your house then call his mom to come get him at midnight because he is homesick. These guys use the same excuse every time: "Man my stomach hurts."  It's best not to call them a liar and tell them that they are homesick because it could ruin a friendship, but if it becomes a recurring trend then other people will find out that that guy is uninvitable to stay over.
Link of the day:  I couldn't come up with a great link that relates to sleepovers so I'll just leave you with this and this.  Read the comments on the first link and admire the work in the second.
Thanks for reading,
McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment